Friday, September 26, 2008

FINALLY!!!!

























I began this "little" project in 2004, completed the stitching in 2007, and put the final construction stitches in place this morning. It's "Elizabeth R: A Sewing Case" by Fancy Work. It's been so long that I don't recall what type of fabric except that it is linen and the thread is silk by somebody. There are many little gold paillettes scattered about all the sides.
I absolutely HATE to do backstitching and a great deal of this was backstitching. But because Elizabeth I is the woman in history that I admire the most, it was, for the most part, a labor of love. The motifs are actual motifs that were on her dresses.

The large medallion on the black silk is actually a medallion from my wedding gown (4o years ago). So are the three buttons and the pearls. The small straight pins on the burgundy velvet are from my mother's old tomato pin cushion. I thought that after this much time I should make this REAL personal. Plus the fact that it will belong to one of my granddaughters one day.
The instructions for putting it together were complicated. I finally tossed them and did it My Way. Once I did that it fell together quickly. Instead of using 5-that's right, 5) layers of felt between the top two pieces I cut it to 2 between top and bottom. Some pieces were necessary to make it almost like a pin cushion.
It was a fun project. Would I do it again? Not sure.

4 comments:

coral said...

Marian ...it is amazing ...beautiful work love Coral

Jinger said...

Wow! It looks great! Love the personal touches from your wedding gown and from your mother's pin cushion. Truly makes it an heirloom piece.

Can't wait to see your progress on the Rosewood Manor piece. It is a breathtaking piece.

So sorry about the loss of your pup. :'-(

coral said...

Ok Marian your job is done:) I have justgone and ordered theppatern and fabric :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely piece!