Friday, March 19, 2010

BLOWIN' AND GOIN'!

I still have that naggin' Louisiana Crud. Better, but still coughing and blowing my nose. But I think it's on the down side.

So....here are some pretty good Jane Austen sequels. I did buy that awful zombie thing, read a few pages and thumbed through it enough to know that Charlotte Lucas Collins turned into a zombie and Rev. Collins did himself in when she turned.  But these two are great!

Believe it or not, JANE BITES BACK by Michael Thomas Ford was pretty good. It's set in modern day. Jane owns a book shop and only drinks a little blood at a time. But she's not above using her skill to seek revenge! Her shop assistant is adorable, Jane has a suitor, and, just when things are going great, a lover from the past shows up.  No clues from me, but I will tell you he was (and is) famous. There are  more books in the series to come and I'll be in line for them.


Colleen McCullough (as in THE THORN BIRDS) wrote a really good sequel called  THE INDEPENDENCE OF MISS MARY BENNET. So far I think it is my favorite of them all. Mary is the nerdy of the sisters. Always annoying everyone with her attempts to sing and with all the holier-than-thou comments. Well, she certainly grew up! After caring for her crazy mother for so long, the lady dies and Mary is off on her own. She's very independent and that's an understatement. She lives alone--a no-no-- and eventually is kidnapped. Rescued, of course. And, after swearing off men and love, finds Mr. Right and all ends well. A really good book.


So, that's how it goes.

And yes, a bank teller really did ask me if my boys had the same parents. And to make up for the gaff, she gave them lots of suckers. Even today, at 36 and 40, they don't really resemble each other too much. If you are on Facebook with me, go to my page and link to Michael's Disney World photos. They are really good. He bought a megacamera last fall and it definitely is paying off. There are, so far, four days of photos. The Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom is especially beautiful.

I'm staying in today and stitching and framing. I've stocked up on Peeps, have plenty of Coke Zero and kleenex. CSI:Miami and Las Vegas play all day and tonight is Criminal Minds night on A&E. Ah, having the Crud may not be so bad!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi,

I just found your blog while surfing on the internet. I enjoyed reading it and I will come back again. You do make wonderful projects. I'm an addicted stitcher and I love to watch other people's work.

Greetings from Belgium,
Wendy

Unknown said...

Also fell victim to the Louisiana Crud a couple of weeks ago . . . the cough does seem to linger for a week/10 days after.

Hope you are feeling better soon, but it does make for a stretch of stitching time.

Stephanie

Alice said...

I enjoyed the Mary sequel! I will have to track down Jane Bites Back. I hope the Louisiana crud leaves you soon.

Susan said...

As I love Jane Austen I will have to read the books but zombies! Come on!
And if you want to sit and stitch by all means do so as it's ok with the rest of us stitchers.

Happy Stitching!

Donna said...

At least while you are blowin' and goin' you are readin'!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I have a Florida strain of the crud. After 2 weeks I'm starting to feel a bit less tired. I hope you feel better soon.

I had missed that Collen McCullough book. I remember thoroughly enjoying The Thornbirds.

Can you believe I live in Florida (and worked for Disney in the 70s) and have never been to Animal Kingdom? I think I need to fix that!

Siobhán said...

Your plans for dealing with the crud sound pretty good to me! Stitching and framing, Coke Zero (I love that stuff!), good TV... gotta love it. I hope the good times help you get over the crud quickly.

Thanks for the book info. I gave my daughter Colleen McCullough's book last Christmas & I don't think she's read it yet. I might have to take it myself!!

FancyHorse said...

I hope you start feeling better soon.

The Mary Bennet book sounds interesting. (Can't get my head around zombies and J. A.!)

I got one on the sale rack at Books a Million a few days ago - Dear Jane Austen: A Heroine's Guide to LIfe and Love, by Patrice Hannon. I haven't read it yet, but I'll send it to you when I'm finished, if you'd like.