Tuesday, November 10, 2009

FOOTBALL AND LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY

Okay. Here I sit, absolutely miserable.  The nagging little cough I've had since September has risen up and bit me on the butt. Big time. We went home for the football game-more later- and I did okay. Sunday night it hit.  Monday found me at the doctor's office: massive infection. Sinuses, lymph nodes in my neck and BAD bronchitis, fever 101. I'm waiting to hear from the x ray because it looks like pneumonia, too. But I have some wonderful drugs: vibramycin, prednisone, flonase and these great little pills for the cough. Lesson learned the hard way.

We went home this weekend for the Alabama-LSU game. Those crazy LSU fans seriously believe we consider them rivals. WRONG. LSU is "small stuff". Auburn is the one. And LSU fans always blame something else for their loss. It just couldn't be that the other team was better (we won 25-14). This time it was the SEC officials calling bad plays.There were some questionable ones but they wouldn't have changed anything. LSU-ranked #9-played the #2 ranked team. Gee. Read the handwriting!!!!

We live in the Deep South. It's November, so we all live and breathe football. Here are some shots from the game. I took a lot of photos and will put them on my flickr account a little later.  In the meantime.....

These are some of the photos from inside of the stadium during the game. It seats 92,000 plus and, believe me, it was packed. Anything crimson and white is Alabama. Purple and gold is LSU.



Here you can begin to see the addition to the stadium. When it's finished, the stadium will be completely bowl-shaped and enclosed.







The final score. Victory.



The outside of Bryant-Denny Stadium.



One of our customs is "tailgating". It's another word for "partying". Tents are set up, grills are fired up, TVs are turned on, coolers filled and it all begins HOURS before the game (try the night before!) and ends late into the night. Some of the greatest food in the world. And everyone is a friend to the next guy.  Denny Chimes can be seen in the background. It's the "symbol" of the university. There's an old-wives tale that says everytime a virgin walks by a brick falls from Denny.  Don't ask!!!!

This is also on the Quad, which is the center of the university. It's HUGE. I remember many a frozen morning walking across the Quad on ice. It gets really cold in Tuscaloosa.



Some LSU people got in on our party. But that's okay. Their symbol is Mike the Tiger. Ours is Big Al, the elephant.



And some nostalgia. This is Morgan Hall. My upper class major classes were here. It's the Foreign Language building.



So that's what's going on here. I have some stitchy and kitty photos, but they will wait for another day.

Until then, happy stitching. And, PTL, we dodged a bullet. Ida hit this morning on the coast of Alabama.

See ya later.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Take care of yourself! I guess you had a fantastic time at the game at least.

Donna said...

Get well soon! Love seeing all the pics!

Siobhán said...

I loved seeing the pics! I miss tailgating and all the pregame stuff.

I hope you're feeling better!

Marian said...

Not really. Nausea started this morning. Not sure why.

Julie said...

I hope you are feeling much better.

Lovely pictures