Monday, June 1, 2009

A COUPLE OF FINISHES: A NEW LOOK FOR AN OLD PIECE AND THE FIRST DAY OF HURRICANE SEASON

Hello, all, on this first day of hurricane. That's right: until the last day of November we'll all be sitting here, waiting and waiting and waiting.....
I did this piece in 1976. It's surface embroidery and I believe it was kit. Anyway, I had a very old frame that belonged to my mother. I removed the picture from it and replaced it with my embroidery. It wore thin on me, so I filed it away underneath the bed for many years. Last week I got inspired. I removed the sampler from underneath the bed, opened the frame and went to work cleaning the whole deal.
In the middle of all this, I decided the mat wasn't the right color and I could save big bucks by painting it. Actually works! Then I messed up. I decided to stencil the newly-painted mat. Dumb move. The mat began to crumble. Off I went to Hobby Lobby and had a new mat cut.
Here is the finished product. Looks pretty good. I might could have centered the piece better, but this is passable. It hangs on the wall over the tub in the master bath. I know it's a replica of an actual sampler. If anyone recalls the name, please let me know!

This one is also a new addition. It's LHN's "Home of a Needleworker". I didn't notice until I was taking the photograph that it's not quite level in the frame. Back we go. Gotta get it right.
Nothing else new on the home front. I saw my doctor today and she made a few meds changes. Finally have had to add a med for HBP. Guess I'll get over it. She said I'll have to watch it for a while- to make sure my BP doesn't go too low. I guess I have officially joined the ranks of Senior Citizens: I have high blood pressure. Whooee.
I'm going to re-do my blog in a few days. I have some great new blogs to add, so I'm going to get rid of some of the other stuff to allow room. And I'm joining the Blackbird SAL. I'm not making much progress on my BP SAL, so I'm hoping this will do better. We have our choice of the Flea Market (which I've already completed) or Autumn Bouquet, which is the one I've chosen.

10 comments:

CJ in OK ;-) said...

I like them both the old and the new. CJ ok;-)

Jan said...

Marian, both of your framed pieces look just awesome! Give yourself a pat on the back, for a job well done!

You be safe, stay away from those hurricanes!

Ann said...

My mother stitched that same sampler, Marian! It hangs in my youngest sister's house today. Yours is only the second one I've ever seen. I wish I knew the name of it, so that I could try and find a kit on Ebay.

Jeannine 520 said...

Marian,

Very nice!

Also, the name of your sampler is "Catherine Ann Speel 1805". I have the chart that was graphed by Handwork Samplers that someday I will get around to starting.

Donna said...

Love both pieces! While I am in Central Texas and we don't see much from any of the hurricanes, my DD and gk are in Houston. So I will be worrying along with you.

Carolyn NC said...

Pictures look great - and just for the record, you can have HBP earlier, so you might not officially be a senior citizen! LOL

Lisa said...

I heard that hurricane season officially started yesterday. I remember living in New Orleans (from 91-95)...only one very minor brush with a hurricane, but it drifted off toward Pensacola. The only thing I remember was going to the grocery store to stock up on supplies and saw that the Oreos and Beer supplies were sold out :)
Your finished pieces came out very nice. I find framing my own pieces very challenging to my patience - you accomplished both very well!
Take care - and remember to stock up on Oreos and Beer early!

Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty. I love home of a needleworker

Julie said...

Both are lovely, well done on a great job.

Hope you stay safe in the hurricane season.

Lots of loving {hugs} to you Marian, i hope the new meds work out ok for you. Take care.

Yoyo said...

The Catherine Ann sampler is beautiful!! I painted and stenciled a matte once, you have to be sure not to let the matte paper get too wet. I "dry painted" mine and then let it dry like two days before I did the stencil. Give it try. Congratulations on the LHN, it's gorgeous also.