Wednesday, January 21, 2009

AN ERA OF CHANGE?

Tuesday the 44th President of our country was sworn into office. I didn't vote
for him and won't if he runs in 4 years. But even though he wasn't my choice,
the people of my country have chosen Mr. Obama. It's my duty now to
support him-as best as I can- and pray for him. My instinct tells me that
he very well could be in over his head-just a little.
I'm a Republican, born that way and probably will die that way. I voted for Mr. Bush twice (his
daddy, too). Like a lot of people, including my fellow Republicans, I have been really
disappointed with him. But that era is over now, and time to move on. He's just plain Citizen George now and it's time to let him rest so that the books may be written and the
library built. His was a job I would never want. To be the President of the most powerful-and
sometimes the most hated-nation in the world could never be easy. All that responsibility. He will forever be the president of September 11th, the president who botched a war.
So, on this Wednesday night, 24 hours into his presidency, I say "Good luck, President Obama.
Treat this wonderful country well. Handle it with care. It's a special responsibility that has
been given only to a very few men in it's glorious history. Make it a place we're all proud of. Make
Sasha and Malia proud of their father."
And to George. Thanks for the good things that you did for us. Get some rest. Write a book.
Take your place in history with your head held high. I don't know about others, but I'll miss you.
Sort of......Actually, I think it's Laura I'll miss the most. You're a lucky man.



4 comments:

Donna said...

I couldn't have said it better, although I am a Democrat. But I agree with what you said. I, too am not happy with the nation's choice and for the first time in my life I voted for a Republican. But you are right. We must pray for him and support him. I live in Waco, TX and George Bush came back here after the new president was sworn in. For the first time I was really glad he was here. Felt like things were the same although everything had changed.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Amen!
I didn't vote for Obama either and I'm a born and bred Republican too, George didn't stay with his base or platform of Republican ideals, but he kept us safe for 8 years, and to me that counts for something.
:o)
Nicely written! Thank you for sharing!

Julie said...

I hope your new President does your country proud during his time in office.

MillieHubbard said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts for President Bush. Even though I disagreed with how he handled some important issues, I have immense respect for him as a man. I believe him to be an honorable man who did what he thought was best. We can hardly ask for anything more from a mere human being. Let we forget that important fact.